The History of the Cadell Border Leicester Stud
The name CADELL was chosen as a stud prefix, by Ray Harper because this was the name of one of the properties purchased by his grandfather, David Harper, when he moved to the Temora District from Victoria in 1910. Research shows there was a Captain Frances Cadell RN who was the first man to navigate the Murray River from its mouth to Swan Hill in a paddle steamer, named The Lady Augusta. He did this in 1853.
The stud was established in 1946 by the late Ray Harper. It is now run by his son Barry and his grandson Robert.
Ray Harper was always interested in the promotion of the Border Leicester as a breed of sheep and this led him to hold the position of President of the NSW Border Leicester Association for several years during the 1980's. Ray was also one of the foundation members of the Australian Border Leicester Association.
In carrying on the tradition, Barry Harper was president of the NSW Border Leicester Association from 2006-2012 and in 2013 was elected President of the Australian Border Leicester Association. He is now the president of the NSW Border Leicester Association.
Between the years of 1955 and 1995, Cadell enjoyed much success in the show ring, winning most successful exhibitor and champion ram, a number of times at Albury and Sydney Shows.